Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

12/01/2001

More about me

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

I'm Carren, a writer and communications consultant based in Manila and Los Angeles. I'm fascinated with the creative process and how each one of us has the potential to make a difference by communicating and acting on our powerful ideas.

What you need to know 

I can often be found writing about art, architecture and design for publications like the Los Angeles Times, KCRW's Design and Architecture, Architectural RecordArchitect's Newspaper, GOOD, SurfaceSurface Asia, Dwell, and Dwell Asia, to name a few.

I have more than five years of experience in the fields of journalism, marketing and public relations. While working for Unilever, I developed strategy plans for global brands like Dove, Vaseline Lotion and Axe. My responsibilities included conceptualizing and implementing campaigns and on-ground events like Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty, bringing the brand experience to life, on-time and within budget.

I've consulted with start-ups and non-profits on their communication and media strategies, helping ensure their message comes across. As a result, clients have appeared on The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, 89.3 KPCC, and Dwell, among others.

I have a Master's in Arts Journalism from Syracuse University where I received the Liu Multicultural Fellowship, and earned my Bachelor's from Ateneo de Manila University where I graduated with honors.

What you may not know 

No matter what story I write or campaign I work, it's always the people who matter most.  There is no escaping the human element, and we shouldn't try to get away. If my work inspires someone to ponder or take action, then I consider it a success.

I'm a natural project manager or producer. During my undergrad, I earned the moniker "mommy" because of my relative age (the second eldest in the class) but also because of my tendency to plan for the future. Information and preparation is key to great execution.

I believe that creativity isn't only about what looks good but, applied well, it can also make a difference. 

Talk to me about  

Writing assignments; consulting; researching; delivering talks; art, architecture, and design especially in the context of social innovation, community building, and urban renewal. 
Related post: Why I Write

5 comments:

Get updates via RSS