Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

5/31/2010

Charlestonian talks about life in ballet

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Text by: Carren Jao
Published: Post and Courier (print and web), 28 May 2010


He was once just a boy with chubby cheeks, a mini-fro and a dream to dance with the Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo.

Now, Robert Carter comes home to take center stage in a platinum blonde wig and a gold-trimmed pink tutu to dance with the Trocks at this year's Spoleto Festival.

Carter recently shared some of his lucky breaks, trials and triumphs along the way:


Q: You came to the Trocks already a very skilled dancer en pointe. How did you get started ballet dancing?

A: When I was about 7 1/2 , I was with a children's performing group. We were at the Piccolo Spoleto arts festival event and Robert Ivey (artistic director at Robert Ivey Ballet) was also there with his company.

While I was singing, he sent someone into the crowd to find my mother to ask her if she would be interested in some dance training to go with my voice.

My mother wanted me to try it. She said if I didn't like it, then we'd find something else. But I loved it, and the rest is history.

Read more on PostandCourier.com

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS