Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

7/17/2012

What is a Watershed Anyway?

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

Since I first began covering the Los Angeles River, the term "watershed" comes up again and again. It's obviously an important part of understanding what's going on in the river, but it's a little understood term. 

~*C
Text by: Carren Jao
Edited by: Yosuke Kitazawa
Published: 17 July 2012, KCET

Ballona Creek by Lisa Newton, used under a Creative Commons license
Chances are, on a day-to-day basis you give no thought to the Los Angeles River -- and I wouldn't be surprised. Every day, we probably get to our places of work through paved roadways, slip into our cubicles tucked inside glittering high-rise buildings, and lose ourselves in our computers. Nothing about our daily commute reminds us of the river, except perhaps the bright blue signs announcing "Los Angeles River," featuring the county's heron logo.

When I first starting writing about the river, I had a fascination for it, but I confess, had little understanding of its inner workings. For me, the river was like a mythological creature, a powerful symbol that binds Los Angeles County together, but not quite a physical reality that affects my everyday life. [read more]

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS