Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

You've heard me talk about my fascination for the watershed. When I heard about these weekly sampling trips by the Council for Watershed Health, I just had to tag along. It was the start of L.A.'s heat wave, but I didn't know that when I volunteered. What was a great idea turned out to be a long day of hiking and new discoveries, which thankfully I survived.

~*C

Text and photos by: Carren Jao
Edited by: Yosuke Kitazawa
Published: 21 Aug 2012, KCET

Rickey Russell getting his sample
When summer heat bakes Los Angeles, there's no greater delight than immersing yourself in a deep body of water. Some of us have swimming pools to plunge into, others have newly opened fountains in public parks, but a few make the waters of the Los Angeles River Watershed their playground, swimming and fishing in its rivers and waterfalls.

While hundreds of people cavort in the water each year, scientists working at the Council for Watershed Health, Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Southern California Coastal Watershed Research Project (SCCWRP), Aquatic Bioassay and Consulting (ABC), and the City of Los Angeles, Bureau of Sanitation Environmental Monitoring Division work together, sampling 85 sites across Los Angeles to make sure its waters are safe for public use. [read more]

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS