Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

1/09/2013

Sepulveda Basin Razing: Getting on the Same Page

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

This happened right in my backyard. It's strange to think that something so wide-ranging can happen right under our noses, when we aren't looking. 

~*C
Text by: Carren Jao
Edited by: Yosuke Kitazawa
Published: 04 Jan 2013, KCET



A man wearing a blood red hoodie cycled past me as I walked through the devastated remains of a Sepulveda Basin's South Wildlife Reserve. His solemn expression brooked no greeting. On his bike, he glided on the newly carved dirt roads left by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Fallen trees and charred leaves were littered on either side of him.

As I walked, I heard the soft squish of my shoes hitting the soil. Every so often, I stop and an eerie, incessant rustle starts on my side. I look and, after a few minutes, I see a small bird looking for refuge amid the ruin. This lush area now looked the way I would have imagined the forest to look after fires licked it clean in "Bambi." Nature, it appears, was banished; in its wake, an air of desolation settled. [read more]

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS