Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

11/01/2013

Red Rover

Posted by Carren Jao Pineda |

I wish there were more people like Scott Maxwell, people who have indefatigable spirits and a willingness to believe in a mankind's better self. I interviewed Scott at his home, but our conversations wandered around the cosmos. 

~*C
Scott Maxwell knows his way around Mars
Text by: Carren Jao
Edited by: Brittany Shoot and Glenn Fleishman
Published: 26 Sept 2013, THE magazine

Photo by: Glenn Fleishman
In a cozy bungalow on a quiet street in Pasadena, big-band music plays in the background while a couple sits on a plushy beige sofa. It’s a charming suburban tableau, but their choice of subject matter is more Ray Bradbury than Norman Rockwell.

“If they got a mission to Proxima Centauri or Europa, I’m on it,” says Scott Maxwell, a wiry, enthusiastic 42-year-old with floppy hair a smidge too long in the front but trimmed in the back.1

“Mars or Europa I would do. I’m not sure if I would do anything else,” replies Kim Lichtenberg, 37, his girlfriend.

“Come on!” Maxwell says, almost rising from his seat. “You would get into space. You’re not going to make it to Proxima Centauri; it’s four light years away, hundreds of years for a generation ship to get there. OK fine, you’re not going to make it, but you could go! You can start the journey.”

“I would want to see it before I die. I wouldn’t go.”

“I would go,” says Maxwell. [read more, subscription req'd]

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS