Carren's Pitch

Life by Design

Los Angeles is one of the most diverse cities in the world. How do I know? I've seen proof of it last month when I took part in artist Pedro Reyes's People's United Nations, an effort to bring together people from all corners of the world who live in Los Angeles as laymen reps of their respective countries. Our goal? Fix the world, make it a better place. 

It was an amazing feeling to walk into a crowd and see that all sizes, shapes and backgrounds were represented. It's a thing of beauty, an artwork in itself. 

~*C
Text by: Carren Jao
Edited by: Drew Tewksbury
Published: 12 May 2015, Artbound

Pedro Reyes, The People's United Nations (pUN), 2015. Event at the Hammer Museum, Los Angeles, May 2-3, 2015. | Photo: Lili Soto.
Early this year, the Hammer Museum announced a bold initiative: to gather the world within a room for a weekend with the express purpose of solving our global problems. Called the People's United Nations, the movement is an art project conceived by Mexico-born artist Pedro Reyes for the Hammer Museum.

On a recent Saturday, 190 delegates currently in Los Angeles hailing from 140 countries around the world, joined together to engage in a cross-cultural conversation.

One of those delegates was me, representing the Philippines.

I signed up, blindly, knowing that at the very least I would get to see what I only glimpsed on trains and buses in Los Angeles, the diversity of faces that make up the mosaic we call this city. My wish came true. [read more]

0 comments:

Get updates via RSS